Like in his other letters Paul lets us know what living as a follower of Christ should look like and what it doesn’t look like.
First, he tells us to focus both our hearts and minds on heavenly things. Our desires and our perspectives should be based on higher things than the earth.
Then he tells us what the markers of Christian life are:
- Forgiving others
- Peace of Christ ruling our hearts
- The message of Christ dwelling among us
- Psalms, verses, songs to God in our conversation and in our hearts
- Wives submitting to their husbands
- Husbands loving their wives
- Children obeying parents
- Servants obeying their masters
- Working as if for God not man
Christian living does not involve these things:
- Sexual impurity
- Evil desires
- Greed (which is idolatry)
- Filthy language
- Fathers embittering their children
Again, these are quite a list.
But if we do it with our focus upon Jesus in his throne, then we will desire to love and serve him.